So, some conventional political science knowledge that bore out in this election:
—debates don’t change the outcome. In 2012, they generated a lot of buzz, but after the debates were over, the race ended up in about the position it was in before the conventions began.
—VP candidates don’t matter, at least not in improving a candidate’s chance of winning. All they can do is hurt a presidential candidate. But we don’t vote for the VP candidate. Paul Ryan was fine, but not important.
—It is the economy stupid—at least, it is a lot the economy stupid. Lots of voters said the economy was a crucial factor in their decision. But Romney only won those voters by a 49-48 margin. Romney’s economic message was not profoundly more effective than the president’s.
—we do not elect businesspeople as president. Ever.
—incumbents usually win.
—it’s really hard to win when you alienate yourself from significant constituencies (e.g., women and Latin@s), especially when one of those constituencies is the fastest-growing group in the US.
Alas, I know I will have to repeat all of this in 2016, and lots of people will occupy lots of pixels discussing all these things to death, especially how THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT!, but it probably isn’t.
So, at least for those of you reading this post, remember: political science has learned some stuff. Take claims to the contrary with a grain of salt … even when the grain is rolling your way.
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- econtacted likes this
- teennakedmodels likes this
- amaranthus23 likes this
- snowhyte likes this
- i-cut-my-nightmares-out-of-paper reblogged this from positiveconnotation
- politicalnighties likes this
- caitlhay likes this
- meggieinluckey likes this
- positiveconnotation reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- molliehaswords reblogged this from politicalprof
- molliehaswords likes this
- neverflew reblogged this from politicalprof
- supdoc33 reblogged this from politicalprof
- neverflew likes this
- moonriverrrr likes this
- lighttothelight reblogged this from politicalprof
- dallen1 likes this
- starry-starry-eyed likes this
- anelegantinconsistency likes this
- leatherluxor likes this
- morelia1337 likes this
- stardust-cross reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- whitewalk3r likes this
- patchesthegreat reblogged this from seriouslyamerica and added:
- dusted2death likes this
- letusgothroughthemines reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- eloquentfiction likes this
- fallin-in-wonderland likes this
- getthebiggerpic reblogged this from politicalprof
- thatdudefromnewyork reblogged this from politicalprof
- wakeupem likes this
- guavasita likes this
- pinkbaron reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- parles likes this
- therodentqueen likes this
- stephkatherine reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- not-growlithe reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- hinaballecter likes this
- nationalkleinblue likes this
- quickiekissit likes this
- steeples reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- steeples likes this
- whirls likes this
- newlyhumanandstrangelyliberal reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- seriouslyamerica reblogged this from think4yourself
- iamzimbot reblogged this from politicalprof and added:
- getthebiggerpic likes this
- fezzikismyhomeboy reblogged this from think4yourself