1 year ago
So… it happened. Those five little words many atheists dread finally came from my father: “Do you believe in god?” I’ve been expecting it. Preparing for it. But I was still sad when he asked. Because I knew the answer would hurt him… and the answer would destroy my mother.
I was honest and told him my full deconversion story. He was accepting, but holds onto the belief that I will “recognize the error of my ways” and “accept Christ as my savior” on my death bed, so that I will join him and my mom in heaven. He sees this as a phase. And… that’s okay. It gives him comfort and that’s more important to me than brutal honesty.
I haven’t spoken to my mom on the topic yet, but I know my father shared what I told him. She’s incredibly hurt and is taking it personally. And honestly… I get it. She truly believes that I will be going to hell because I am an atheist. She’s not being intentionally cruel or hurtful… she’s terrified. And she feels that she’s failed as a mother. God is the most important thing in her life and her daughter is “rejecting Him.” I get it. I really do.
I suspect my name will be added to prayer lists and I’m prepared for people from my old church to come to the house. I imagine I will be hearing many “God did this” stories and conversion stories and be given apologetic books for holidays and birthdays. And, again, it’s okay. I’ll be kind, but honest. Gracious, but firm.
Anyway, the point of this post is simply to say, try to be kind to your religious loved ones. Yes, they are indoctrinated. Yes, they say very hurtful things. Yes, they believe nonsense. But… they BELIEVE IT. And most truly do want the best for you. I think about how I would feel if my 7-year-old grew up to be a far right religious conservative that fights against gay rights. I would feel like I failed. I would. And my parents feel the same way about me.
It’s sad. It hurts. But… it just is. So, I’ll be the best I can be. Good without God. And hopefully, in my parents eyes, that will still count for something. ~JJ
as much as I miss her, I’m glad I don’t have to have this conversation with my mother…
- todosederrumbodentrodemi likes this
- renitzer04 likes this
- lucas-combatir likes this
- zero15 reblogged this from teachthemhowtothink
- biologicallyqueer likes this
- xsteffyx likes this
- thesadlaugh likes this
- lukemuffinz likes this
- notentirely likes this
- starspangledhawk likes this
- llashton likes this
- brownandigetdown reblogged this from think4yourself and added:
- boobytrapzap reblogged this from think4yourself
- boobytrapzap likes this
- think4yourself reblogged this from teachthemhowtothink and added:
- think4yourself likes this
- braincooksidea likes this
- clumsybats likes this
- turntherainintosunshine likes this
- skepticallyhopeful likes this
- loveelyyy likes this
- clockworkjerk likes this
- missmosnarylime likes this
- ashemountain said: It’s a rough view, because if you ignore the “going to hell” stuff, they raised an amazing woman, who is an amazing mother and a great person and friend. Which isn’t a little thing, but, sadly, “immortal soul!” gets shouted and drowns it all out.
- elzeedude likes this
- thebrazilianatheist said: Ouch. At least now you don’t have to hide anything, right? My parents already know, but they don’t give a damn. The perks of living in Brasil is that people really don’t care about what you do in your life as long as you don’t discuss it.
- sblaufuss likes this
- lettheoceantakemeunder reblogged this from teachthemhowtothink and added:
- basic-eight likes this
- quixylvre reblogged this from teachthemhowtothink and added:
- quixylvre likes this
- briansabbey likes this
- mingolando likes this
- herscribbles likes this
- therealsurferrosa likes this
- ellietheasexylibrarian likes this
- xwingsandpaperplanes likes this
- iloveranch said: And now you know how gays feel when they come out to their parents. It’ll get better in time.
- thisoneandonlylife likes this
- thisoneandonlylife said: I hope she comes to realize that you’re the same person you’ve always been, she just didn’t know your views on religion. Hugs and love my friend.
- catbuttcat said: I wish you luck and strength.
- catbuttcat likes this
- skepticalavenger said: I’m sorry, JJ. Hugs. :-\
- skepticalavenger likes this
- capitalistautomaton likes this
- teachthemhowtothink posted this