1 year ago
So I was doing a photo shoot of my sister’s kids this morning and my 6 year old niece waits until we’re alone to ask me, “ZZ, why did you cut your hair so short?” To which I responded, “I guess just because I wanted to. I feel beautiful too!” She then says, “Well, my mommy made me promise her that I would never ever EVER cut my hair like that.”
(Cue the explosions going off inside of my brain)
I told my niece that her mother was being a shallow cunt and that she should never feel like her beauty is solely defined by what she looks like, much less the length of her hair.
Okay, so I didn’t really say that. I didn’t say that because I’m not a giant dickhead.
Thankfully, I possess the ability to recognize when it’s not my place to open a can of worms. Maybe one day when she’s older, I’ll be able to explain to my niece what I think beauty is. Maybe one day she’ll be able to understand that those silly “promises” to her mother really don’t mean a thing and that she can do whatever the hell she wants to do with her hair…. WITH HER LIFE.
My heart hurt the whole way home. It didn’t hurt because I was personally offended… it hurt because my 6 year old niece is learning this bullshit from her mother. I suppose if I had cancer and was forced to shave my head, maybe then her mother would tell her how beautiful I was…. it’s fucked up that I know that to be a fact with the way my sister thinks. But because this is something I chose for myself and it’s different from what her personal taste is, it must be wrong. I could give zero fucks if my sister likes my hair or not, but I cannot stand the fact that she is using my choice as some sort of twisted way to teach her daughter what she feels a woman should be.
This is all the more reason for me to be a kick-ass role model for my niece. I cannot tolerate her being brought up in such a narrow-minded world. It’s not my place to say anything about my sister’s parenting, but you bet your sweet ass that I’m going to show my niece as much as I can that all women are beautiful not matter what they look like.
- madtown likes this
- likelettersandsodas said: How is this even still a thing?! I feel like so many women- conservative and otherwise- are rocking short hair these days. I thought we were past this “your hair is your crowning glory” thing. Your niece is lucky to have such a positive role model!
- likelettersandsodas likes this
- scu likes this
- mybabywishlist likes this
- lostwithoutthem likes this
- the-lost-texan likes this
- ibirro likes this
- soupisnotameal likes this
- amandarust likes this
- think4yourself reblogged this from loveismy-religion
- think4yourself likes this
- myworldinboxes said: High five, Z.
- myworldinboxes likes this
- holdingupyourbackupplan likes this
- rebirthofnewlife likes this
- justjules likes this
- it-is-a-moth-dammit likes this
- runnergirlwannabemama likes this
- behindthelevee likes this
- arborescent said: I wasn’t allowed to cut my hair until I was 12 - dead serious - because my dad said girls are supposed to have long hair. Thank god that didn’t traumatize me for life. I’ve still only ever had about 4 hair cuts in my life, and I’m 23.
- arborescent likes this
- misslisamarie2u likes this
- redjeep likes this
- dandelionwine likes this
- thisismyboard likes this
- lizzyyyyy likes this
- fisherspop likes this
- dignityandgrace likes this
- fuckingrenades likes this
- loveismy-religion posted this